When planning your guided car tour you are bound to have lots of questions. Listed below are some of the most common questions. If you have any other queries, please contact your guide Elspeth.
Which tour should I choose?
- The tour descriptions will give you an idea of the main features of the tour. Ready-made tours can also be amended. For example, we can change the point of departure or some of the venues to visit on the route. Alternatively, Elspeth can make up a tour according to your tastes and interests.
How long are the tours?
- ½ day tours are 4 hours long and start usually at 9am or 1pm.
- Full day tours last 8 hours and start at 9am and finish at 5pm.
- A 2-day tour starts at 9am and finishes at 5pm on both days.
Which vehicle do you use?
- There are 2 vehicles available. Both cars are Renault Trafics.
- One vehicle has forward and backward facing seats so you can easily chat to your companions.
- If you don’t like sitting with your back facing the direction of travel, we have a Renault Trafic which has only forward-facing seats.
- Please discuss your requirements with Elspeth before booking.
CAN I BRING A WHEELCHAIR?
- In the Renault Trafic with forward and backward facing seats, we can strap a wheelchair in and the person in the wheelchair would have their back to the direction of travel.
- Where a wheelchair is strapped in beside the other seats, it reduces the number of possible passengers. With a wheelchair strapped into position, we can have one person in a wheelchair plus 3 other people.
- It is theoretically possible to have 4 persons plus a wheelchair strapped into the vehicle but it might be a little bit cramped.
- For the Renault Trafic with only forward facing seats, the wheelchair must go into the boot. It is then essential that the person who uses a wheelchair is able to step into the vehicle and sit on one of the seats.
What clothes should we wear?
- Comfortable casual clothing is recommended. It rains quite a lot in the west of Scotland so waterproofs with a hood are always a good idea.
- All the tours give you the opportunity to walk around and explore so comfortable walking shoes are advisable.
- Where you are likely to walk on muddy ground your tour guide will advise you of this in advance, as you will need stout shoes or wellingtons.
What is the maximum size of the party?
- The maximum number is 6.
How much luggage can I bring?
- On day tours a small bag to contain your waterproofs and miscellaneous personal items is all you require.
- On 2-day tours we must restrict you to ‘cabin’ size luggage (55 x 40 x 25cm) per person. This can be increased for smaller groups.
Can children come on tour?
- Yes of course! If you wish you can bring your own car seats for children. Our vehicle offers ISO Fix connectors for compatible child seats.
- Please note that children under 135cm or 12 years old must be in a car seat under UK law.
Can I bring a mobility scooter?
- Yes, our vehicle can accommodate most small mobility scooters. They normally require 2 people to lift in and out of the vehicle so one of your party will be needed to help.
- Please note that if there is a scooter, then the baggage space is limited.
Can I bring pets?
- Support animals are welcome on board, however we usually ask for them to stay on the floor of the vehicle.
Do you provide refreshments?
- Clients must provide their own food and refreshments for the duration of the tour. However, there will be opportunities to stop at shops, cafes and restaurants during the tour.
- Clients with specialised dietary requirements are advised to give advance notice to Elspeth before the tour so that she can check that the correct diet is available. Alternatively, you may wish to bring a packed lunch.
Do you provide accommodation?
- No, but Argyll Explorer can advise you about accommodation.
Can Argyll Explorer collect me from my hotel?
- Yes, as long as it is within 10 miles of the departure point in ready-made tours. Where your hotel is further, we will keep costs to a minimum.
- Where parking is restricted in the city centre, there may be a short walk to your vehicle, but your guide Elspeth will ensure that you are aware of this.
Should I book my accommodation before I book my tour with Argyll Explorer?
- The 2-day tour leaves from Oban and has an overnight stop in Inveraray. You can make a provisional booking with Argyll Explorer and then book your accommodation. Bookings for tours must be confirmed within 48 hours.
Are ferry and admission fees included in the overall tour costs?
- Ferry fares for crossing the Clyde are included in the tour as is the ferry crossing to Easdale. The cost of tickets for venues will vary depending on the size of the group and therefore will be added to the cost of the tour when you book.
DO YOU SCHEDULE TOURS IN THE WINTER?
- Argyll Explorer will continue to provide tours throughout the winter. Clients should be aware that some of the standard venues may be closed during the winter.
What kind of insurance do you have?
- Your guide Elspeth has professional insurance through the HOSTGA guiding association.
- The driver has commercial vehicle insurance.
What are your terms and conditions?
- The terms and conditions are at the foot of the page